For this week’s “At the Cemetery” prompt, I’m going to take a look at Tedrow Cemetery in Dover Township, Fulton County, Ohio. A lot of Belknap’s are buried there, including Thomas Belknap, our ancestor that originally left New England and came to Ohio to continue our branch of the Belknap tree.
Tedrow Cemetery is located on the north side of County Road J, just east of the village of Tedrow. The cemetery has also been known as Spring Hill Cemetery and Eldredge Cemetery.
Family members buried here include:
- Thomas Belknap (1803-1889)
- Polly Ann Farr Belknap (1837-1887), Thomas’ 3rd wife
- Zera Belknap (1853-1920), Thomas and Polly’s oldest son
- Mary Jane Kessler Belknap (1854-1928), Zera’s wife
- Frederick Belknap (1889-1920) – Zera and Mary’s son
- Myron Belknap (1855-1929), Thomas and Polly’s 2nd son
- Alice Lucelia Belknap Shaffer (1857-1944), Thomas and Polly’s oldest daughter
- David Shaffer (1848-1911), Alice’s husband
- Gertrude Shaffer (1876-1889), Alice and David’s daughter
- Lucretia Belknap (1860-1900), Thomas and Polly’s 2nd daughter
- Henry McDole (1854-1915), Lucretia’s husband
- Lucina Ellen Belknap (1866-1907), Thomas and Polly’s 3rd daughter
- John Q. Clark (1861-1946), Lucina’s husband
- Bessie A. Clark Bachman (1887-1920), Lucina and John’s daughter
Only 3 of Thomas’ children are not buried in Tedrow: Francis M., Thomas J., and Arthur.
A very helpful transcription for Tedrow Cemetery can be found here: http://www.crewfamily.com/tombstones/volume_1_page_112.htm.
Week 22 (May 27-June 2): At the Cemetery